For as slow as a lot of this project has felt, this last little bit seems to be happening fast. There are times I look around the bus, amazed at how far it has come.
The floor is in! We started with a thin underlayment that will help with sound, moisture and will help hold the flooring in place. For the flooring itself, we went with an inter-locking vinyl floor. It was pretty easy and straight forward to install; and we had JUST enough.
The toilet was another quick install. Previously, Paul had cut a hole in the floor for the vent and ran the wire for the exhaust fan. So getting the toilet in place just required mounting with the provided hardware.
We’ve probably mentioned this in previous posts, but this toilet is a composting toilet which has allowed us to not need a black water tank. The toilet has two chambers; one for liquids and one for solids. For the composting portion, we’ll be able to use peat moss or coconut coir.
Another piece we really wanted to get done to make the bus livable is the bathroom door. In another bus build called Gilligan Phantom (we’ve shared their tour in the past), they used drawer slides to attach their bathroom door. We loved the simplicity of that idea and not having to figure out how to incorporate a pocket door.
We’re so happy with how it came out! It was a super quick install and has worked really well since. We used self closing slides which has kept the door from sliding around while we drive.
Propane; the last major system to put in the bus. The propane rack has been in place for a month or so underneath the bus; so to finish this project we had to drill holes in the floor and run lines from the tanks up to the oven and hot water heaters.
Paul also made a tie-down to secure the tanks in place on the rack. Unfortunately, we didn’t get a picture of that part, because it was quite the process to watch! 🙂 He then made a bracket to hold the regulator that will maintain pressure in the lines. We went with a regulator which will automatically switch between our two 20 gallon tanks.
When all that was in place, the valves were opened and a leak test was done before our first test fire….
You may have seen the back wall up in past posts; well the time finally came to get it finished. We used so much wood throughout the bus but most of it got painted. So with this wall we decided to use cedar planks like we did with the ceiling but this time leave them raw.
While there are still things to be done in the bus (mostly visual), getting to this point meant we were ready to move in!
We got the bus packed up and headed to stay with Audrey’s mom in Tennessee. We’re happy to say that the trip was pretty uneventful; we stopped more often than if we were traveling just by car but overall the bus did great. 791 miles at about 55mph the whole way!
As mentioned earlier, we still have a few things to work on. Mostly cutting/sanding/painting wood for trim pieces and cabinet doors, building a dresser/cubby space in the bedroom for our clothes, closing off the front of our bed frame and finishing the stairs.
We’ve been in TN for a week which is the amount of time we decided to take off from working on the bus. Ironically, as ready as we were for a break in Florida, we’re now anxious to get back working on the bus. Keep an eye out for our next post in 3-4 weeks with final updates to our build!
Skoolie Share: We have never met this family and only recently came across their bus tour on YouTube. They have a very unique build and just a different look and feel than what you see in most buses. Enjoy!