Our first big project: removing the seats

Our first major job was to take out the seats which turned out to be easier than we anticipated.

First we took all the cushions off the frames and unbolted the seats from the walls. Paul was underneath using channel locks to hold the nuts in place while I was inside with a wrench & socket, unbolting the seats from the floor. Of the 26 benches, we were able to get 15 out that way.

The other weren’t able to be unbolted, mostly due to the position of the drivetrain and fuel tank that were in the way of getting to the bolts. For the 9 remaining benches, Paul used an angle grinder to remove the bolts.

Together the seats and cushions weighed almost 1100lbs. We were able to take the steel from the benches to sell at the scrap yard and for the 620lbs of steel we got $35!

IMG_7065.JPG

IMG_7072
24 benches = 880lbs of steel

IMG_7071

IMG_7084
Before getting rid of the cushions. Those cushions weighed 820lbs.
IMG_7220
After dropping the benches at the scrapyard- so much space!

Next up – pulling down the ceiling and insulation.

One thought on “Our first big project: removing the seats

Add yours

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Powered by WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: